Friday, February 8, 2008

Kevin Hart - Lier

This story is blowing up, but an excerpt in case you missed it:

"A week ago, in front of television cameras and a packed high school gymnasium, the 6-5, 290-pound offensive guard placed two baseball caps on a table -- a Cal Bears cap on his right, an Oregon Ducks cap on his left -- and then, after a dramatic pause, put the blue-and-gold Cal hat on his head.

"They really won me over," Hart told reporters. "Coach [Jeff] Tedford and I talked a lot, and the fact that the head coach did most of the recruiting of me kind of gave me the real personal experience."

Actually, the Cal head coach barely knew he existed. That's because there was no scholarship offer. Not from Cal. Not from Oregon. Not from anywhere. Hart made it up. He made everything up.

What began six months ago as a small, ego-driven lie, somehow gained weight and strength and grew into an uncontrollable hoax. It enveloped a school, a town, a family and maybe a future." ~Gene Wojciechowski ESPN


So basically this kid wasn't being recruited by anyone, but pretended he was. This story hit both ends of the spectrum because when it first came out he claimed to be duped by a middle man. I've never heard of hiring someone to help with the recruiting process, but then again I wasn't recruited by any DI schools, so I went with it, and we all felt bad for him. Now it turns out he's just a lier and the whole thing snowballed out of control. Not as many people feel sorry for him now.

I have a series of questions that pertain to this, but the biggest thing is where are this kid's parents? Were they fooled? If so, wow, but if not, WOW. If his parents knew he was lying, but let him go out there and do a press conference, that's shameful.

This should send a message to parents everywhere whose kids might be recruited next year, you're going to need to be involved. I would make sure I hear from these coaches who are talking to my kids, in fact, they would have to talk me first. No more of this garbage.

No comments: