Monday, February 18, 2008

Kidd to Mavs Not Dead Yet

So Dallas really wants to land Jason Kidd. To replace both Devean George and Jerry Stackhouse in the deal, the Mavs want to sign and trade Keith Van Horn. The Mavs have his rights because he never officially filed retirement papers with the league. Van Horn would still need to pass a physical in order for the trade to go through, so can someone please contact the Mavs if he fails: I’m available, my doctor has cleared me for physical activity. I’ll take the 4.3 million and call it a day just as well as Van Horn.

This new trade shows you just how much Dallas wants Kidd. I believe including Van Horn means the Mavs will pay out another 8.6 million this year, his salary plus luxury tax. But then, why still include Diop in the deal? Keep Diop and stay bigger, all the Nets want is cap space anyway. I thought perhaps the Mavs knew more about Nick Fazekas (6 foot 11, rides the bench mostly) than we did, but reports are he’ll be cut to make room on the roster for the deal. So this deal moves two 7 footers away from the Mavs in a big Western conference, and this trade is as confusing as ever.